Cookies are small text files stored on your computer by your browser. They’re used for many things, such as remembering whether you’ve visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. They contain information about the use of your computer but don’t include personal information about you (they don’t store your name, for instance).
This policy explains how cookies are used on this websites in general - and, below, how you can control the cookies that may be used on this site.
We may collect information automatically when you visit this Website, using cookies.
The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit.
You can choose, below, not to allow cookies. If you do, we can’t guarantee that your experience with this Website will be as good as if you do allow cookies.
The information collected by cookies does not personally identify you; it includes general information about your computer settings, your connection to the Internet e.g. operating system and platform, IP address, your browsing patterns and timings of browsing on this Website and your location.
Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.
These links explain how you can control cookies via your browser - remember that if you turn off cookies in your browser then these settings apply to all websites not just this one:
- Internet Explorer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835 (this page links to further information for different versions of IE - the mobile version is at http:/ /www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/web/changing-privacy-and-other-browser-settings.aspx).
- Chrome: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=95647
- Safari: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Safari/5.0/en/9277.html (or http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1677for mobile versions)
- Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ Enabling%20and%20disabling%20cookies
- Blackberries: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/ 32004/Turn_off_cookies_in_the_browser_60_1072866_11.jsp
- Android: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=169022
- Opera: http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/security/privacy/
TYPES OF COOKIE THAT MAY BE USED DURING YOUR VISIT TO THIS WEBSITE
The following types of cookie are used on this site. We don’t list every single cookie used by name - but for each type of cookie we tell you how you can control its use.
1. Personalisation cookies
These cookies are used to recognise repeat visitors to this Website and in conjunction with other information we hold to attempt to record specific browsing information (that is, about the way you arrive at this Website, pages you view, options you select, information you enter and the path you take through this Website). These are used to recommend content we think you’ll be interested in based on what you’re looked at before.
2. Analytics cookies
These monitor how visitors move around this Website and how they reached it. This is used so that we can see total (not individual) figures on which types of content users enjoy most, for instance.
You can opt out of these if you want:
3. Third-party service cookies
Social sharing, video and other services we offer are run by other companies. These companies may drop cookies on your computer when you use them on our site or if you are already logged in to them.
- Facebook’s data use policy: http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/your-info-on-other
- AddThis (the service that runs some of our social sharing buttons): http://www.addthis.com/privacy#.T6j--usS0bw
4. Site management cookies
These are used to maintain your identity or session on this Website. For instance, We may use similar cookies to ensure that you can use our commenting functionality when not logged in.
These cookies cannot be turned off individually but you could change your browser setting to refuse all cookies (see above) if you do not wish to accept them.